Thursday, June 12, 2014

The Day I Need To Remember Today.

I had a really bad day today. I'm so tired that  my legs feel like they're going to fall off. But I feel awful, so I'm going to revisit that time when hosting events were fun in their own weird way and I shall post it, to remind myself that today was a bit of an exception: 

(And I'm going to pretend that this actually happened today, it's my therapy, stop screaming at me for confusing you)



If this day had a commandment it would be "Thou shalt not have  dessert."

But first I must comment on how I was dreaming about a Doctor Who episode. And then my alarm went off. Which is fine, except I'd forgotten setting the alarm tone as the TARDIS Take Off tone (don't you dare judge me)...and my dream like state kind of convinced me that the world of Doctor Who was really the real one...and it was awesome and beautiful and made me weepy in a good way.Like the magic  that happens when you go visit this link and click on the picture: https://twitter.com/TheWorldStories/status/472808427811373056 Seriously click on it...it's not a trick! I promise.

And then I heard this woman screaming at me in the distance going: "WTF D...why are you having cereal in your morning cup of coffee? There is milk for that. Sheesh. Must I always do everything for you?" Mom. And suddenly I was...awake.

 Then I had a long day the details of which I won't bore you with but I will tell you that it culminated into me  hanging out at a Poolside Bar. So I wasn't complaining. Except I'd taken barely a sip and all my make up spilled out of my bag, randomly. Just kidding. I was trying to get a wet tissue(did I mention they're just baby ass-swipes that I use as wet tissues? Trust me, my cheeks have never been softer :p) for my colleague...and then my make up spilled out and this polite pool woman asked if she could help me and I said no. And then as if to prove a point more make up fell out and my colleague's like " Sheesh, you're a cake, I could eat you." And I said, "not really, this is all my back up make up? Like I need to just have them in my purse to feel secure about myself. Because I'm that shallow." and then I finally gave in and told the pool woman that I would need some help. And then this other bar guy came over and pointed out it was the chair's fault, because it sloped a way chairs aren't supposed to slope. I guessed that's what you're supposed to say to rich people. So, I whispered to him. "It's okay, I'm not rich. I'm just here for a work thing." And then he just coughed and offered me Dahi kabab. Apparently that's a delicacy.


It was yum, in a very confusing way. 

This was a turning point because I decided I can't embarrass myself in a more humongous way this evening, so I started to do what they called "networking". It was suuuppperr hot. The weather not the networking, and the guys were dressed in their suits and had to take them off. So I said, " This is a pool party, except a different kind of pool, you know?" And I raised my eyebrows knowingly. They didn't know, so I had to then explain that it was more like a dissolve in your own pool of sweat party? And then they decided to take it  indoors. The beautiful air conditioned indoors.

Conversation flowed freely, except that one time when I tried to hand out  my business card and this bus ticket fluttered out of the card holder thingy. 


This is what bus tickets look like here. Except it was just this one ticket which didn't look even mildly artful 


And there was something so odd about finding a bus ticket in that place at that time, that I got desperate to put it under my shoe...hide it some place, except I had to do a jig around it to successfully do so... which made it more embarrassing.  Let's just say I'm glad, I'm not meeting these people again.

We got to a point where we started talking about our hobbies. And I told them how when you reach a certain age you are immediately enrolled to learn some dance form or singing (preferably classical), or drawing classes in Kolkata. It's like a custom. I mentioned Bharatnatyam. And this guy asked me if our state had any dance forms children could learn...and I said not really. And then I added there were several tribal dance forms we have but parents don't usually go in for that kind of thing with their kids, and for some reason all my colleagues burst out laughing to this. I still don't get what's so funny. I'm guessing they pictured themselves doing the chhau. That would be pretty funny. Haha. Now I can't stop thinking about all these guys doing the chhau. Shut up mind.



The Chhau. Making People Giggle At Dinner Parties Since 2014, Apparently. 
AND THEN: 

Leila Seth walked in quietly and gently for dinner, and then I lost.my.cool.Because I've started reading this book she's written and I'm totally enamoured of Her Honour. So I did the only thing I could: take her autograph and attempt to convey to her how much her writing has inspired me.  She waved at me after dinner and left. My heart melted. 


This was a perfect day. I want to remember it. Despite all the madness. And despite having to skip dessert because that's what happens when you work hard. You skip a dessert or two. But then there's always your hero wishing you success and happiness on paper. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment