Thursday, May 28, 2015

It's Time To Start Adulting Again

People need to stop sending me the now-you-can-call-me-on-whatsapp message. It's making me uncomfortable, because I predicted that it was spam. But turns out it isn't. And that's unsettling because now I have to worry about whether a notification that totally sounds like spam might not be one?  and maybe I should pay more attention to things. 

We've settled down with our lives now that mom's back.

A Glimpse of Where She's Been....Solitude...Comes With A Price But I'd Pay
For It...Every.Single.Time.

I have stopped wearing quirky jewellery to office. The quirky jewellery had come out when the mother left. The Boss had looked at me questioningly. "This is me in the holiday mode...you know my way of..." and then she smiled indulgently and understood.

 It has been a mostly smooth ride.

 Except that time I got a call at 3 a.m in the night from a number I will never know...and from a voice that sounded like it was from a 100 years  ago. The thing with a dual sim phone is you can have a 3 g number where you have all the internet data usage in one sim. So you have a "whatsapp number" ; an exclusive number for whatsapp you can share with people you want to and that's always a very welcome thing. But at the same time, if one of these people call me on this 3 g number it always registers as "Unknown", so do the numbers of prank callers,  who experiment with random number combinations to call?  So it's always a surprise picking up calls on this number. I generally ask these friends to just call me on my "normal number" instead to avoid confusion. And then they just stare at me and ask me "why do you pick up calls from the abnormal number anyway?" I have a ready rejoinder for that. "Because sometimes, the mother and the boss call me there by mistake." 

Having said that, I really had no reason to pick up that call at 3 a.m. It was an instinct thing I suppose. It was a man. Sounded like a really old man. And he was screaming...nightmare screams and speaking in a language I wish I understood. If now-you-can-call-me-on-whatsapp spam messages ever had a threatening voice, this would be it. 

It took a while for me to go back to sleep after that. 

A few days passed. I relegated this frightfulness to the Doctor Who marathon. I'm sure this can be explained and it'd probably be something stupid, so I am not going to let this bother me as much, me thought to myself. 

Mom got me  strings of rubies spun on golden threads...they glistened like pomegranate seeds. The strings looked other-wordly...so far removed from the conch shell necklaces and weird junk  I'd been sporting the past few days..And suddenly I felt shy, coy even and I wanted to go hide somewhere...remember the childish fears and tears of the days without her...and shake my head at me. 

It's time to start  adulting again. 


No comments:

Post a Comment