Monday, June 8, 2015

Pet Cemetery

The office overlooks a cemetery. It is supposedly one of the most haunted places in Kolkata. Funnily it has been a year and a few months at my place of work, but I'd always chose to go home through a more circuitous route (that involved a 15 minute walk and if bad luck prevails another 10 minutes or so till there's only room for a lot of huffing and puffing and a grateful sinking in to the sweat infused cool comforts of the AC taxi, because fuck buses and everything else). 

Because I'm stupid that's why. 

It is only very recently that I take the straight walk to the oft-frequented bus stand which is roughly a two minute distance from our office. I'm grateful that good sense has prevailed. 

But closer digging of the sub conscious has now revealed why this easy walk has been avoided for the past 12 months. I remember a certain man with pink head phones crossing me on this path and whispering "very.big.boobs" into my ears and that was enough to freak me out because he made it sound like a delicacy. Seriously. I had also been stalked by two men in biker jackets in this very route (not sure if I've written about it here, but that accounts for a whole different blogpost). O and Btw? Kind of related:  That random call at 3 a.m in the night? that I was romanticising about it, thinking the man to be an ancient mouthpiece of unknown languages? Is just a pervert who  calls almost every day now.  ~sigh~  my naivety has become a source of entertainment to me these days.  I went to the phone service provider to trace the calls...and turns out that not only is that impossible but in the off chance that the dude calls again...I could pay 50 extra bucks for each of  the months to follow...and the number will totally pop up then...and I could take this guy to court THEN. Yay profit margins?!! Assholery at its peak much? 

Anyway, I digress...you get the drift.. I had my reasons to opt for the more roundabout way. I still do. But these are busy times and the thought that there's a bus just two minutes away from here to get me home is strangely comforting after a long day at work.

Snapshot of Friday evening from the Bus Stop. Cemetery - the green leafy bit to the left. Office is probably the yellow building at front. May be wrong, I am not used to leaving the office when it's still daylight :p 


This two minute walk entails me passing the cemetery. And I wouldn't have noticed ...(yeah that's how desperate I am to get home after work) if it hadn't been for a couple of boys loitering about the streets on their summer holiday. 

At the risk of sounding rather obtuse, I'll just call them boy 1 and boy 2. 

Boy 1:  look to the right...do you see that? 

I look to the right...and for a second I stop too.. 

Boy 2: what is it ? 

Boy 1: that? that my friend is a giant fort of darkness. Stand back and behold it. 

And indeed...there was the entrance to the cemetery...there was the light at the entrance...and that's it. An invisible wall of utter pitch blacketyness had taken over after that and wouldn't let you see through. 

Boy 2: Keep walking...we need to get home before 8:30 p.m remember? 

Boy 1: Please...can we just wait here and watch the darkness for a bit? 

I grinned. "Watched" the darkness for a bit with them... and made my way home. Stronger. Braver. 


No comments:

Post a Comment