Monday, June 15, 2015

Seriously If You Find That Quote Let Me Know. I Am Beginning To Worry About Myself


Longest day. I won't blame Monday though. It's the week or maybe the whole month. 

My old research organisation had organised a Book Launch today. It is perhaps the first book on arsenic contamination written in the vernacular. 

There was an initial hiccup and the event ran the risk of being held at a lounge bar (poor planning on the hotel's part. The co-ordinator forgot to mention there would be an event till 6 p.m at the hall booked for the book launch and they said they could only prep the hall for the launch at 7 p.m) I was there in the capacity of my present organisation. And as I surveyed the bar and the flimsy curtain that would form the backdrop for the headtable where socio- economic perspectives of this "deadly poison" would be discussed,  I couldn't help but let a giggle escape. 

That's when hysteria hit and I haven't stop giggling. The slightest hint of something funny and off I am. I guess that's what happens when the pressure gets to a point you let it escape and it escapes in bursts of giggles.

Jean-Martin Charcot photographed his “hysterical” patients at the Salpêtrière, a Parisian lunatic asylum. Charcot believed that hysterics adopted characteristic poses, and that if he could catalog these poses, he could make sense of the disease.   Augustine, the subject of this photograph, was Charcot's star patient. Charcot published many photos like this one in the Nouvelle Iconographie de la Salpêtrière.
And then I remember my boss showed me this whatsapp message about Lao Tzu advising something along the lines of mosquitoes on penises? I guess it was meant to be inspirational...or something.  And at this point I am beginning to wonder if I am hallucinating. Does that quote even exist? I can't find it on Google. Also Diamonds have cleavage? I should probably get myself to bed. 

Unrelated: It's the baby cousin brother's birthday today. He is in town but this is probably the first time that I haven't shared time with him on his day. I feel like a horrible sister and a horrible many other things. 

Updated: It exists ! It exists! 


OMG...SO relieved. :P 

2 comments:

  1. I hope it's this one, because if there's more than one Lao Tzu quote involving mosquitoes and men's junk then you really have to wonder...

    "It is only when you see a mosquito landing on your testicles that you come to realize that there can be value in solving problems without using violence.”

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes!!! :D thanks for dropping by :)

    ReplyDelete