Wednesday, July 22, 2015

The Underwear Jungle - Horrible Book Titles? But That's Not What This Post Is About. Relax.

It's been five long days - we've been working through Saturdays, Sundays and finally things seem to have settled down into a quiet, which may go away in the next few hours. 

I've been fighting the common cold, an increasing urge to bury my head in the sand and  earworms. The earworms are kind of a constant though,  regardless of  present circumstances. 

When I close my eyes, there is the deafening noise of the rain, the halting jerk of the bus during the serpentine traffic snarls, a decrepit black umbrella that drips water on to my trousers... , mounds of washed clothes that refuse to dry out in the cluttered refuge of a balcony. The plants have had their fill too.Old Maid droops doggedly, no more flowers for you, she whines. 

The rain Gods have an odd way of immersing my world into gloom... cold, unforgiving gloom. I tip my umbrella to you Rain Gods. 

I sneaked out to watch a movie, alone. To get away, for a while. 

This one: 



And then I became that annoying person in the theatre whose phone keeps flashing with incoming calls every two seconds. 

This continued till I finally got locked out, almost slipped and fell on a the wet floor, near the bathroom next to the exit.  

At this point a part of me was all "fuck it let's just go home and work" 

And then my gut was all "shut up, you wimp. Now get me some motherfucking nachos and watch the damn movie already!"


So I went with my gut. And watched soap bubbles quietly form and pop as the unnamed couple go about living the threadbare gamcha fabric of their life.... "why aren't they washing their underwear?" (does this count as a spoiler? I don't know)  I wonder out loud ...a couple sitting next to me snort. "Well that must be D.G ! a voice whispers behind me. 

I look back and there's an old friend and her boyfriend giggling at me over a tub of popcorn. 

This must be a couple movie, I think, as I wave a hello at them. Couples who obviously get "the bigger picture" instead of losing the woods for the trees ...except you know if there were underwear hanging on every branch from all the not washing that has happened in their world. 

Am I even making sense anymore? 

PS. when I say ear worms I mean music...like annoying ring tones and such...that kind of ...stick. Not actual worms...or did you know that already? 


No comments:

Post a Comment