Sunday, June 5, 2016

I am trying something new here- Shakespeare Sundays. Don't roll your eyes at my original and creative thinking!

The rain is like an actor on stage, thumping and hammering out the lines with an intent to prick us to the core, unsettle us, think of dark wishful thoughts.

While I've let my blatantly pin-pricked-reverse-of-a-bubble-wrap soul wander and find its kinship with the rain, I've entered the "long dark tea time of the soul" as Douglas Adams would call it. 

"In the end, it was the Sunday afternoons he couldn’t cope with…
as you stare at the clock the hands will move relentlessly on to four o’clock,
 and you will enter  the long dark teatime of the soul."
Image Source: 
widerangeofnormal.tumblr.com

It is precisely, four o' clock at the moment. An extremely mediocre idea has brewed my mind an ugly fuming shade, so here  goes nothing. 

How about a little Sunday routine for the blog?

Introducing-  Shakespeare Sundays- And while my skin roils and reduces to feeling like the rain soaked mud outside, because I can hear you saying "how unoriginal and boring!" Let's just say, you're reading a blog that has a page entitled "Music and Me (Because I suck at Page Titles).  You have been warned, my friend.  Indeed, I am terrible at naming things- there's a certain finality to it that is hateful. 

Maybe I won't keep at it, like the several abandoned things and projects that my life encircles and eddies out of, under the pretext of "convenience"

So here's the plan - every Sunday I'll put up a quote by Shakespeare here, something that reflects the week that's been, the things and ideas that have been topmost on my mind and other such sundry sources of inspiration- as simple as that. 

Unlike today, there will be Sundays, I am sure, where I just put the quote up without such a long preamble. Some Sundays, I will ramble. C'est La Vie. 

Why Shakespeare? Sir Ian Mckellan says, "Anyone who finds studying Shakespeare difficult should remember that Shakespeare didn't intend you to read these plays."

 So here's the thing, let's not "study" him? (unless you're in school, study away then, this is an interesting time to study Shakespeare. Seriously, I envy you. ) Let's read him. Let's give him a chance to get off that pulpit and sit next to us, nod his head at the tedium of life and say something clever about it- enormously clever and beautiful, but that's just Will. 

This week I am quoting from :

The Tragedy of Macbeth 

Act I
Scene I. A desert place. 
Thunder and lightning. Enter three Witches. 

First Witch 
When shall we three meet again 
In thunder, lightning,or in rain? 

Second Witch 
When the hurly burly's done, 
When the battle's lost and won. 

Third Witch 
That will be ere the set of sun. 


Do you hear it? The crazy thunder? Does it make your heart beat faster? Are you scared? Don't be. Listen to them. They have a timeline- a reassuring calming timeline.  And you let the rain pour and sweep through your being- waiting for their prophecies to, one day,  come true. 

No comments:

Post a Comment